I wish I was awesome enough to make this up on my own, but it was directly stolen from my friend Nora’s blog: http://alternatenavigations.wordpress.com/
I know you all wonder what my day-to-day life is like here in Ethiopia. And I’m also sure some of you never want to experience some of the inconveniences that I do every day. However, if you want to live a week in a PCVs life try out this little challenge.
Do one, do two, or do ALL the things on the list. Just try it out, and let me know how it goes in an email to email@example.com. There are all things I know that I took for granted in America, and now I go without every day. If you’re feeling super adventurous and get around 400 points, I’ll send you something fun and Ethiopian in the mail.
Some are one-time options which can be repeated at your leisure, yet others are highly encouraged for an entire week.
These options are marked with a 1W.
Best use of the Challenge: Pick one week, and cram as many challenge items into one single week as possible. You may pick and choose as you please!
Point values are assigned to each challenge item.
For 1W items, you may only get the points if you do the item for an entire week.
The maximum points you could possibly get is 770.
- Do not use your personal vehicle.
Options: hitching rides from others (spouses don’t count), bicycle, public transportation, by foot.
5 points per day
- 1W Do no leave your house after 7 pm, unless you will staying at a friend’s house.
- 1W Wear only 3 outfits. Rotation, rotation, rotation.
- Spend an entire evening after dark (minimum 5 hours) without electricity.
Flashlights are allowed, but candles are preferred.
15 points per day
- 1W Live on a maximum of 3.50 USD per day, spending.
If you had food in your fridge and bring a sandwich to work, you’re in the clear.
This only applies to people who are not listed as a dependent on anyone’s taxes.
- 1W Watch only television channels in a language in which you are not fluent.
However, you can watch previously downloaded TV shows or movies that are on your computer- in any language you prefer.
- 1W Do not use the internet.
*This isn’t a regular challenge for me, though it is for other volunteers. But I have previously gone months without internet; I also have infrequent weeks when service and network disappear.
- 1W When you have to go to the bathroom, first go outside of your house/workplace and close the door, then walk back inside. Then you may go to the bathroom.
- 1W Only use water from a bucket i.e. fill the bucket from a tap and only use water from the bucket.
You may refill the bucket as many times as you like.
40 points per day you do not use your indoor tap
- Do not bathe for at least 3 days (washing of face and feet are allowed).
3 days is the minimum.
Because on a regular basis, I shower twice a week
10 points for 3 days; an additional 5 points for each day added
If you go one week, 100 points
- On bathing day, take only a cold shower. An ice cold shower. I know its cold out at home, but I think I took a cold shower in 50/60 degree weather so give it a try.
5 points per cold shower
- Wash an entire load of laundry by hand and let the clothes hang dry.
20 points for wash; additional 5 points for dry
- 1W Your only food options are the following:
Your only veggie options are carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, chili peppers, and potatoes—unless they come from your own garden.
Your only fruit options are bananas, oranges, mangoes, and limes.
You may only supplement them with rice, lentils, beans, pasta, injera, or bread products.
You may not eat any dairy products, including butter/margarine.
You may not eat any canned foods.
You may not eat meat.
But you can eat all the eggs you want.
- 1W Your only drink options are the following:
Water, Coke (not Diet Coke), orange pop, tea, and coffee.
- 1W You may not use your oven (stove top is okay), microwave, nor your dishwasher.
- 1W Do not open your refrigerator.
How to survive: store foods/leftovers in a pot or Tupperware on the counter.
Be sure to reheat each time you eat.
That’s it! Good luck and let me know how it goes if you choose to give it a go!